Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with several women in Hartford, Connecticut. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born. In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations, marking the start of a nationwide movement.
In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.
To recognize the fact that girls have long been a part of our cause, the national organization’s name was officially changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America marked its centennial year in 2006, celebrating 100 years of providing hope and opportunity to young people across the country.
To Learn More Go To: Boys & Girls Club of America